392 bad knock, quality bearing sources?

Mopars are not supposed to do this?! (Even if original 35 yr old motor, over 100K)

1. This weekend I may try and find the bad knock one of my 300 Cs has just developed.

Cold, no noises.
Warmer, after 10-15 minutes, say at idle in gear waiting at traffic lights, a real loud knock, like a piston hitting the head, about cylinder 2 or 3 on right side. Also now at idle in neutral - but under load, NO noise.
Sounds real sharp, like a hit, not a rattle. First thought was broken piston, but a guy with a big block Chev says a similar noise in his motor turned out to be a worn timing chain. I know my chain was a little worn about 5K ago, but can they go like this - it is a 55/56 chain/gear/cam setup, as the cam is a hotter grind.

I was thinking of shorting out plugs, but the Chev guy said he tried this, and results were confusing.

2. If is a cracked piston, will rebuild whole motor, need sources for pistons ('58 higher comp if possible, forged if any know reasonable price sources), and better grade rod bearings, and suggested grind and springs for a mildly stronger cam - this 300 is the one I want to run to 7000 rpm, alloy Weind w bigger period Carters, headers - then see how it goes on circuit/drags.
The aussie dollar has just made 70c to US 100, but this still means any help re best price sources would be appreciated.

George and Nancy Terry (red 300C convert owners) visited from Texas recently (great people, and plus they never said anything about my 'push on' type driving, although I think I noticed Nancy looking a bit nervous sitting in the front on the wrong side of my '58 Caddy a couple of times till she realised it was ok) ), and the cold weather they brought with them returned after only one day of 80 degrees the day after they left for Central Australia - maybe President Bush will finally take it over to you on his way out of here in Air Force 1 tonight - me, I am in the T/Bird tonight, top down, and it is bloody cold - I'm sure everyone who sees me must think I'm bloody crazy/stupid !?

Aussie Christopher

Get less junk mail with ninemsn Premium. Click here http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp