Re: [Chrysler300] 300B verses 57 Chev

All:
Guy is absolutely correct about the 1957 345/345 DeSoto. I never quite
understood why Chrysler didn't make a bigger thing of it since they created a
"special" engine displacement in the process. I believe there were 1950 DeSoto
Adventurers made in 1957. Wonder if the production of this standard equipment 1
HP/Cu. In. engine might not have exceeded that of the Chevy 283/283???
Probably not, but is nice to think about.
Relative to the 354/355 300B optional engine: That information was entered
into the AMA (Automobile Manufacturers Association) specifications on April 16,
1956. The official letter to the dealers announcing the availability of the
higher compression head bringing the HP to 355 was dated June 13, 1956. This
certainly suggests the 355 unit was not available in February for Daytona,
and, as Jim Faber points out, Chrysler stated it was a 340 HP 300B that set the
records. These Daytona cars probably would have had the 3" exhaust and 9.5"
wheels, though, as they were in the AMA specs as of 12-5-55.
The 300B may not be particularly sleek by todays standards, but was certainly
more aerodynamic than the 300C which could not match its record the following
year on the sand. As most of you probably know, the 300B record was not
bested until the 400HP (production??!) 300F in 1960. Fun stuff, eh? 300ly Gil
C.