Re: [Chrysler300] batwing

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on this one. First, sorry I'm late, but I
don't do e-mail on the weekends.

There were many versions of the "Deltawing" air cleaners produced. Caddy,
Packard, Chevy, De Soto and Chrysler all had versions. Overall they looked
similar, but some, such as Packard mounted them with the point towards the
firewall. Chrysler was the only one I've ever seen that has the four ribs
running fore and aft.

I can tell you from personal experience that although my '55 & '56 300
examples look the same there are major differences in the pods. The pods
consist of two pieces, an outer container or can and an inner that contains
a mesh. On the inside of the outer container there is a sleeve that the
inner slides over. Yeh, I know this gets confusing, but stick with me.
Although my pods look the same from the outside they will not interchange
between the two pieces. So what I'm saying is I can't make the '55 outer
fit the '56 inner. Also I can tell you that not only do they not
interchange, their interior makeup is different.

Beyond all of this the necks on the Deltawing its self are different between
Chrysler applications and others. The spacing between the two carbs,
diameter of the necks to fit the carbs and last the height or length of the
necks are different.

Last, the one thing I've learned over the years in participating in the
hobby is never say this is the only way it was done as you could be proved
to be incorrect at a later date. When I get inquires regarding a purchase
of a C300 or a 300B one of the first questions I always ask is does it have
a complete air cleaner? If not I caution the potential buyer as this is a
rather difficult item to obtain and usually very pricey.

John Lazenby
C300/300B Model Year Consultant, Chrysler 300 Club International, Inc.