RE: [Chrysler300] motor/trans swaps - mount locations

RE: [Chrysler300] motor/trans swaps - mount locations

Ok, here is the deal. The engine will bolt in fine with early type
mounts. You have a couple choices with transmissions, 62-64 ball&
trunion type and the 65 one year only slip yoke cable shift or
pushbutton trans. You will also need a crossmember & trans mount from a
62-64 full size Chrysler.
Here is what I would recommend:
Go to your local scrapyard and pilfer a 66-68 C body of its rear axle
assembly with E brake cables and such, cut off its cable brackets and
guides as well and install per similar locations on your G. This axle
will bolt right into your 300G. Get the driveshaft from the same car if
you can as you will need it as well, any driveshaft shop can make it the
correct length for you. Find any 65 chrysler product car with a big
block 361+ engine in it and relieve said vehicle of its transmission and
all cables, shifter, speedo etc. These 65 cables should all fit fine on
the 300G shifter and speedo. You will not be using the Park feature of
the trans unless you want get creative with your fabricating skills,
this is one of the reasons you nabbed that axle out of that newer C
body, e brakes. You will have to adapt the 300G E brake cable to the
cable setup on the newer axle but that is a pretty minor deal. The only
fabricating issue you might have is the mount position on the 65 trans
versus the 62-64 trans. I think they are in the same spot but I have to
go to the storage garage today and check, I have a 300J trans to compare
with a slip yoke style. This is a bitchin swap to update the drivetrain
to easily serviceable later model parts.(trans parts, brake parts, U
joints etc) Unless someone looks underneath the car, everything appears
stock. Sell that drum puller on ebay.
Lee in San Diego