[Chrysler300] 1955 C300 Door and Window Handle Removal

[Chrysler300] 1955 C300 Door and Window Handle Removal

I could use some guidance on removing the inside door handles from my
C300.  I purchased a flat tool with a square slot in it that worked ok
to remove the window crank by inserting the tool from the left with the
handle down.  But, I can't seem to get the tool to engage and release
the spring clip on the inside door handle.

My first question is:  Is the tool supposed to be inserted from the left
on the door handle, also?--or from the top or right?.  I'm assuming
both handles use the same kind of clip.

Second question:  It may  be that I am releasing the clip with the tool,
but am not exerting enough axial force to pull the handle off the square
shank.  Any hints on tools or technique?

Third question:  Is there supposed to be a plastic or nylon flat washer
or escutcheon plate  between the door/window handles and the door
panel?  Mine has none.  If they are supposed to be there, where can I
get them?

Ebay item number 6510968539 is a K-D tool for removing these handles and
is currently at $58.  I bought a POWERBUILT brand tool #648542 at Kragen
for about $10, as I recall.  It may not be designed specifically for our
handles, but after bending up a center lip to better engage the clip, it
seems to work on the window cranks, anyway.  Perhaps there is a better
tool currently available.  $58 seems a little pricey.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 CCC