Re: [Chrysler300] Hood Pad 300 G

A couple of issues here.  First, if a 300B came from the factory with wires and it is in judging at a Chrysler 300 Club International meet then there is no issue.  If the wheels were added later the car is not correct as to the build sheet.

Wire wheels were offered from 1953 through 1956 and there were three variations that I know of.   For sometime I though they were offered from 1951 up but Sherwood Kahlenberg pointed out to me that it was 1953 through 1956.   Thanks Sher, as I've always said our cars are a continuing learning process and no one has all of the answers.

1.    Plymouth/Dodge with 48 spokes and the lacing was on the outer lip of the wheel like the T-Bird wires.

2.    DeSoto/Chrysler also with 48 spokes but the lacing is further back in the wheel and this is also wider than the Plymouth/Dodge.  Both are a 15", 5 bolt on a 4 1/2" pattern.

3.    Imperial wheels were 52 spokes with the same lacing as the DeSoto/Chrysler wheel but were wider.  These were 15" on a 5 1/2"bolt pattern.  Also they were used on DeSoto and Chrysler wagons, but I'm not sure about Plymouth and Dodge.  I've read and heard stories about a bulletin sent out via Chrysler that these wheels would not be offered after a certain date in 1955 on Imperials and Wagons.  My guess is it had something to do with a weight issue regarding these particular cars.

Most of the repro wires for these cars I've seen are all done in 52 spoke version.  I have no idea why.  A few months ago I decided to install wires on our '55 NYer T&C and was lucky enough to find a set of newly finished correct original wheels.

Last, a subject that has not been covered in any of this is the caps for all of these wheels.  There are two sources that I know of.  Bob Bornstein in Southern California was offering them and the product was excellent.  Now Coker Tire has them available.  It is my opinion that Bob's are nicer but at 60 mph you can't see the difference.  If you have a set of originals don't spend the time and money to replate them.  The repros are a far better way to go.

John Lazenby
Southern California, just minutes from Disneyland
1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country
1955 Imperial Newport
1955 Chrysler C300
1956 Chrysler 300B
1957 Chrysler 300C Coupe