Re: [Chrysler300] Winter Nap

I had the same problem with my 1955 C30.  It was solved by installing a
rebuild kit in the fuel pump.  A previous mechanic had replaced the
diaphragm with some improper material that did not flex very well and
the check valve was also apparently leaking and allowing fuel to drain
back to the tank.  Poor pump performance then delayed pulling fuel into
the emptied line until RPM was established by priming.  Now the big
brute starts on about half a crank.  I think replacing or rebuilding the
pump is a better bet than blowing air back down the line.  I understand
there is a filter or screen on the intake line inside the tank that
might be plugged, but air pressure would probably blow it off and give
you only a temporary fix.

The point has been made that current fuels and most old fuel system
synthetic components are incompatible and this can cause deterioration
of the soft fuel pump components.  Avoid NOS pumps in favor of recently
rebuilt or recent rebuild kits to get modern materials not soluble in or
embrittled by modern fuel.

Enjoy your F this Spring.  Keep us posted on how you resolve your lack
of fuel problem.

300-ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300

>Now that spring is (finally!) approaching, I am getting the 300F out of
>winter storage.  It won't start, and the problem seems to be fuel.   Gas dumped
>into the carbs will allow the engine to run for 5 or ten seconds, but  then it
>quits.  I've pulled the fuel inlet tube from the fuel pump into the  carbs, and
>it's dry, and no gas comes out when the engine is cranked.  I'm  working my
>way down to the fuel pump.  If nothing spurts from the pump when  the engine is
>cranked, would anything be damaged if I were to use air  pressure to blow out
>the fuel line from the fuel pump input out to the fuel  tank?   Thanks in
>advance for whatever help is out there.   McTaggart

'Thanks & Giving.'