RE: [Chrysler300] Trickle-down theory

Larry, Roger and list,

Maintaining the battery charge through the cigar lighter is a practical idea
for many cars.  If the cigar lighter is energized with the key off (as it is
in my '61 and probably other years as well), the lighter outlet is a direct
connection to the battery.  The cigar lighter fuse in the G is rated at 14
amps, which is more than adequate to handle the 1/2 amp or so of current the
small chargers put out.  The battery must be connected in order to work.

If you decide to give this a try, keep the following in mind to minimize
potential hazards:

Keep the charger outside of the vehicle.  Probably the best type would be
one that the all in one transformer plugs into the wall, and you have long
enough cables to reach inside the car and plug into the lighter outlet.
Keeping the charger outside and away from the car eliminates the possibility
of the charger failing in a bad way and melting and potentially causing a
fire.  If it does, it will be away from your car.

Make sure you pay attention to the polarity when you connect up the plug.
Positive in the center pin, negative to the outer contact.

Once you have it connected, you should check it to make sure all is well and
the battery is not gassing like crazy (which would indicate a bad charger)
or some other issue.  I remember seeing chargers like this offered for sale
by JC Whitney and others over the years.

Bob J

'Thanks & Giving.'