Re: [Chrysler300] buying 300 parts on ebay

Re: [Chrysler300] buying 300 parts on ebay

I've generally had decent luck on eBay - parts are normally as described, and only once was I disappointed, then I went back to read the description, and I hadn't read it thoroughly.

Twice I've sold cars on eBay at no reserve - one a wrecked '76 Vette, the other a rusty 300K Convertible.  The Vette buyer backed out (my very first transaction, didn't want to leave negative feedback at that time) and the second highest bidder bought it for his own bid, fair enough I thought, at least the car is sold.  It was picked up within 10 days.

The 300K was a hassle  - Before the end of the auction, the person who was to be high bidder (who lived in Germany) asked me only one question about the condition of the K, and I responded that it was a parts car.

I made the mistake that I would hold onto the car for one month.  That one month turned into FOUR.  I had to threaten this guy to sell it & return his money for him to make arrangements to pick it up.  Earlier, I had already thrown in additional parts that I locked into the trunk for him.  The buyer was to send me an additional $100 after the auction's end. This was not protected under eBay rules, of course.  After he finally got the car,  I contacted him about the money, he said I was a junk dealer and I will not get my $100.  I asked what the problem was, and he complained that it cost him 2000 euros to get a rusty car to Germany that was worth nothing to him.  He paid $1100 for the car (this was 3-4 years ago), which had plenty of photos on the auction page which showed filler & rusty metal dangling from the rocker panels, rust holes in the floor, a torn top, saggy upholstery, pitted chrome, a '64 Newport front fender, you name it.  By the time this had transpired, eBay feedback
 could not be left at all.

Thankfully, I since have had good luck with sales & purchases.  So everyone has different experiences, and mine has been if I left myself open for liability, there was someone to take advantage of the situation.  Even with that said, most eBayers seem to be ok, and good communication is king.

John Spiers