Re: [Chrysler300] Muscle cars, Not, Super Stock, Yes

Re: [Chrysler300] Muscle cars, Not, Super Stock, Yes

In a message dated 9/29/05 11:22:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ccheinitz@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> While watching a car show yesterday, I was wondering why they always ignore
> the letter car 300's. Why do they say the muscle era started with the 64
> pontiac GTO ? To me it started with the 1955 C300. I have had lots of
> Chryslers, starting with the first Hemi 1951 Saratoga, to a 1953 NY HT, and
> a 55 Desoto fire dome, 1957 Desoto Adventurer and even  a 57 300C I bought
> new in that year. I had numerious drag races with all those cars and never
> lost one, including the 51 Saratoga. Will some one explain to me why these
> people think the muccle era began with the 64 GTO?
> Chuck Heinitz
  CHUCK, MIKE, & ALL, MIKE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, THE MUSCLE CAR WAS AN
INTERMEDIATE SIZE CAR, WITH A BIG MOTOR. CAN A LETTER CAR BE CALLED A MUSCLE
CAR? YES & NO. THEY DID START IT ALL, BUT IT WAS A FULL SIZE CAR. THE 300 LETTER
CARS STARTED THE "SUPER STOCK" ERA, ANOTHER TERM THAT WAS LEFT IN THE LAST
CENTURY. THERE WAS ALWAYS A SUPER STOCK CLASS AT THE DRAGS, AT DAYTONA THEY WERE
KNOWN AS SUPER STOCKS. DO YOU REMEMBER THE SHOE POLISH ON THE WINDOWS AT THE
DRAGS, TO CLASSIFY THEM, S/S WITH THEIR NUMBER? THERE WAS NEVER A MUSCLE CAR
CLASS, M/C WITH THEIR NUMBER. PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY READ IN MAGAZINES TODAY,
IT'S A YOUNGER GENERATION, THAT WAS NEVER AT THE DRAGS, OR DAYTONA, IN THE 50S &
60S. UNFORTUNATELY MEMORIES ARE SHORT.               STEVE ESTOK, PUNTA GORDA,
FL