Re: [Chrysler300] Muscle cars, Not, Super Stock, Yes

Re: [Chrysler300] Muscle cars, Not, Super Stock, Yes

Some would say that Oldsmobile started it with their Rocket 88 in 1949.  I
am somewhat biased and agree that the 300's were the first.  However those
who say it was the GTO in 1964 could make a good argument.  I am old enough
to remember them well when they were new(of course I also remember the 49
Olds and 55 300's quite well).  I believe that the term "Muscle Car" was
first used in the English Language with the introduction the GTO so
therefore possibly their legitimate claim to this term.

I also remember the Super Stock class in drag racing.  In 1958 I purchased
an Ex Nebraska Highway Patrol car.  It was a 1957 Ford, Custom 300 2 Dr, 312
engine with 265 horsepower, solid cam, 2 four barrel carbs and 3 speed on
the tree with overdrive.  In 58 and 59 I ran Super Stock with this car to
some success.  Best times were mid to high 14's at high 90's mph in the
quarter.  My nemesis was of course were the 57 Chevy's with their 270 and
283 HP(injected) motors and a few odd Pontiacs.  Did run against a few 57/58
300's but they were heavy, ran automatics and were not quite as agile in the
quarter mile as the Chevy's and Fords.  At a half mile we probably would
have been killed by the 300's.

This was in the days of a flagman waving a flag for you to go(just like on
the streets) and if you won the class, any of the losers that you had beaten
could post 25 or 50 bucks for a teardown pulling a head and checking other
parts such as camshaft to ensure that you were not somehow taking unfair
advantage by illegally souping your engine from stock specs.  Never was
quite convinced that all ET and MPH time slips were always accurate as I did
see some real anomalies sometimes.

Oh for those old days again!

Roger Schaaf
300 B Calif.