[Chrysler300] Still Starts Then Dies - '65 300 Friday update

[Chrysler300] Still Starts Then Dies - '65 300 Friday update

Morning everyone. A quick update for anyone interested.

I had a few minutes last night to try a few things. I started the car
remotely from under the hood and while it was running, fed a trickle of fuel
into the carb to see if I could keep it running. (I'm a pro at this now so I
know I fed it enough fuel) It didn't seem to help much but did prolong the
stalling a little.

I immediately removed the carb from the engine and noted there was still
fuel pressure at the hard line connection into the carb. I assure everyone,
there is NOT a fuel supply problem of any kind. I believe I've also
adequately ruled out the ignition system as I have good spark, good dwell,
good timing, and voltage readings everywhere are normal when the engine
dies(sorry...stalls).

Once the carb was removed I pulled it apart and checked the fuel levels in
the bowls. Both were equal and seemed normal. I tried plunging the pump rod
and found there to be no squirting.(Yes, there was fuel in the cylinder) I
thought I'd corrected this problem earlier but perhaps not!

I removed the throttle squirter in the primary venturi to expose the small
needle that sits inside. It appears the needle is sticking and not allowing
fuel to be pumped out the squirter when the plunger is pushed down. I used a
small wire to loosen the needle then shoved the plunger down
again.........now the squirter works. This could certainly explain the
engine not wanting to rev when I open the throttle plates but I don't think
it would explain the engine stalling at idle.

Can anyone shed any light on how this needle operates and what might be
causing it to stick? Is there any way to determine which jets should be used
in the primary and which in the secondary so I can ensure I got those right?
I suspect the metering rods might be closing off the fuel supply completely
as the vacuum rises as a few members have suggested.

Hopefully I'll have happy news to report over the coming weekend.

Ryan Hill (Vancouver, B.C.)