RE: [Chrysler300] Letter Car article

Nice article, but with several corrections on the 1955 C-300.

I've been following these for over 50 years and never heard them referred to
as a 300-A.  I answer questions about the confusion over the 1955 letter car
by stating that Chrysler had no way of knowing they were starting a series,
and even if they did think it possible they would have seemed
uncharacteristically arrogant by calling it a "300-A".
The 2-speed automatic transmission was called PowerFlite from 1954 to 1956.
The three-speed TorqueFlite transmission became available late in 1956, not
1955.
The wire wheels were manufactured by Motor Wheel Company, not Kelsey Hayes.
The top speed registered at Daytona was 128.5 mph, or so.  I've not read
about any faster speed recorded, but 130 mph seems possible, especially if
recorded by glimpsing at the 150 mph speedometer.

Plagiarism appears to be rampant with dozens of similar-reading stories
appearing over the years--and continuing.  Most of the stories do express
proper awe for this landmark icon.

By the way, are there any other instances of letter-series cars, and if so,
how long did they continue?

I note that the parts book sometimes refers to the 1955 C-300 as a C-68-300
(C-68=New Yorker) for the several unique mechanical and trim items.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300 ("PRE-B")