[Chrysler300] Re:vent window rubber for a 57

[Chrysler300] Re:vent window rubber for a 57

I think we would all pretty much agree that MoPar extruded and molded rubber products of the '50s and at least early '60s were of exceptionally high quality and it is amazing that some things like the vent window gaskets and occasional windshield or back glass gaskets can be reused after five decades.  GM and Ford restorers should envy us for this!   Perhaps the only reason the big glass gaskets have been reproduced is that they are primarily extrusions which are very inexpensive to have made and some glass shops will absolutely refuse to install glass with anything but a brand new highly flexible gasket.  It may be time to consider doing the vent window gaskets because so many salvage yard donor cars are disappearing with scrap metal prices at record prices and of course, age.

In a prior life, I reproduced, with a partner, an extensive line of repro parts for Hudson automobiles.  We were "the Goers equivalent" for '29-54 Hudson, Essex and Terraplane owners.   Much of that was rubber products.  We had several vent window gaskets made by Metro Molded in Minneapolis and they were outstanding to work with.  The best part of the deal was that THEY paid for the molds to make the parts and that is 90% of the expense.   At the time, we had proprietary use of the mold so long as we continued to place small quantity orders for the finished parts.  If our orders were not up to a certain level, then they had the right to put the item into their master catalog that went out to the hobby.

Here is my point.  We can all sit on our hands and let Gary Goers continue to try to do it all.  Gary for many years has been in a totally swamped condition trying to serve everyone.  Do we want him to take on more, or is it time someone else invested a little money and picked up a few items like this?   I don't know who does rubber molding for Gary.  It is obvious a lot of his small simple parts are done into hand poured molds.  Vent window gaskets are too complex for that.

There are a great number of parts being done in Scandinavia.  Do they have vent window gaskets?   Or shall we wait ten years for them, like we have so far for the '57 style gas tanks?

Wayne G

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: