Re: [Chrysler300] 300Fs with alloy vents

The vents on my F (still on) and the F cvt (I had owned) were "stamped" anodized aluminum, not cast. George Riehl

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ed Jasinski
  To: 'christopher beilby' ; 'Larry Nirenberg' ; lettercars@xxxxxxx ; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:16 PM
  Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 300Fs with alloy vents

  What intrigues me most about this piece is how it came to be. We may never
  know, but a clue to its significance lies in how these unusual alternatives
  were fabricated. A stamped aluminum plenum substitute makes for a curious
  offering on its own; for whatever reason. It may be the result of a
  manufacturing run experiment, or as a low cost high-impact marketing idea.
  But a zinc die-cast (white metal alloy) plenum cover option would beg
  further explanation. Duplicating an otherwise perfectly adequate metal
  stamped piece would be the result of convincing debate on someone's part:
  something that was thought out, justified and funded. Die-cast tooling has
  always been expensive.

  So, are these oddities die castings, or the easier-to- rationalize anodized
  aluminum dress-up alternatives to body-colored steel? Aluminum and white
  metal can both be referred to as non-ferrous alloys.

  Those who may have a grille off their car or whatever, please look at the
  underside of the piece for evidence of mold ejection pin markings or a
  general heftiness to the piece: these castings would be thicker than sheet
  metal.

  Ed J

  San Mateo, CA