  From: Carlton Schroeder
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:03 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Sheet metal fabrication question - H trunk floor

  Hello,

  This isn't a big problem but I'd appreciate some advice. I chose to fabricate my H trunk floor myself and so far it has come out OK. I did spend 4 - 6 hours hammering in the stiffening beads with a homemade tool and hardwood die. ( A 1/2" core router bit made a nice groove and two pairs of grooves reduces shifting the sheet metal.)

  Shortly I'll attach and reweld the two bottom stiffeners and this is where my question is; is that enclosed area painted / protected? At the factory would that inside area get coated when the body was dipped? I could paint / protect inside first and then grind / remove paint / weld or I guess I could weld first and later pour some thinned paint through the end openings and gas tank strap bolt holes.

  I have wondered how restorers deal with these sorts of enclosed areas.

  Thanks for any advice.

  Carlton Schroeder
  Eagle River, WI

<*> Your email settings: