Re: [Chrysler300] Belts & Tran Lines - A little help please

Re: [Chrysler300] Belts & Tran Lines - A little help please

I'm not where I can look, but I am pretty sure
the inner, smaller pulley is for the PS.  The
larger one/ones are for alternator and AC if you
have it.  Without AC. my water pump pulley only
has one groove and it is shared with the
alternator.  That is actually how I recall most big blocks from the 60s on up.

Bill Huff

At 5/23/201106:31 PM, Keith Boonstra wrote:

>The only way I can possibly imagine this oddball crank pulley
>arrangement working would be if one of the grooves/belts ran just from
>the crank to the PS, and the other ran just to the WP with an idler to
>tension it. This would divide the work up between the two. The other
>matched pair would then handle the Gen and A/C. But it's just a
>speculation. Nothing else makes sense to me and someone who's scratched
>their head more than I may have the real answer.
>
>Keith
>
>-
>
>On 5/23/2011 5:53 PM, Richard Barber wrote:
> >
> > *Just curious---are the two different-sized sheaves connected by
> > V-belts to the same driven sheave or driving two different accessories
> > such as p/s & a/c? If the same, there must be a lot of squealing
> > going on unless the driven sheave is smaller by the same proportion.
> > Even so??? *
> >
> > **
> >
> > *I can see some value in having two different sheave ratios for a
> > single-belt system---one for low to moderate engine speed, and the
> > other for high speed runs. Might make sense to have a/c working
> > better in city traffic.*
> >
> > **
> >
> > */Rich Barber/*
> >
> > */Brentwood, CA/*