[Chrysler300] Whoa, Nellie(with a proportioning valve)

[Chrysler300] Whoa, Nellie(with a proportioning valve)

Always interesting to read Christopher's posts.  Regarding, lost pressure
due to rubber hose expansion--the whole idea of hydraulic brakes is to
provide equal pressure everywhere in the system.  Proportioning valves are
apparently just restrictors to create a temporary and dynamic lower pressure
on (typically) the back brakes.  As there is some small flow of hydraulic
fluid on application of the brakes, all tubing, fittings and hoses create a
restriction to flow.  Rubber hoses are always reinforced, so swelling under
pressure would be minimal.  But, over time, the ID of hydraulic hose could
conceivably shrink due to rubber swelling and create a significant
restriction.

Remember, braking is accomplished by converting kinetic (moving) energy to
heat energy by the process of friction.  Front-rear balance is achieved by
varying hydraulic pressure and heat transfer rates.  More sophisticated ABS
systems further achieve balance by temporarily and intermittently reducing
and pulsing hydraulic pressure to a skidding wheel.

I don't see any significant difference in moving the two pitons in a single
wheel cylinder when compared to the two pistons in two pistons in two
separate wheel cylinders in the old MoPars--unless the shoes are improperly
adjusted.  One always notices the difference in brake pedal travel when the
brake shoes are properly adjusted.

I was taught how to adjust brakes on MoPars in the mid-50's and recall it
took extra effort, care and experience to get it right. In some ways, they
were easier to adjust than rotating the stars on the single-wheel cylinder
brakes.  These old skills are being lost as the old line mechanics retire to
their garages to work on their old 300's.  Sometimes, real friendship,
respect and a six pack will encourage one of these guys to get out and get
under.  Watch & learn.

I find it interesting that my '64K ram car has the optional 3" wide rear
drums to achieve some additional braking capacity.  I'm wondering just how
much additional resistance to fade or 60-0 stopping distance that actually
accomplished, given that the back brakes do such a small amount of braking
in a front-engine car.  I do recall that my VW's and Corvairs had much
larger brakes on the rear wheels.

Rich Barber (Bloody Yanks can ramble, also)