RE: [Chrysler300] Re: Engine question

Mike:

You may have a very serious and dangerous condition, occasionally found on
older Chryslers.  There are two large-diameter wires going through the
firewall via the bulkhead connector.  One from the alternator and one from
the battery.  They feed through the same size connectors at the bulkhead
connector as do the smaller, lighter accessories and power users.  Over
time, the connection s on either side of the bulkhead connector can become
corroded to the point of giving only intermittent power to the accessories
while creating enough heat at the bulkhead connector to melt that plastic
piece and allow other wires to short out, resulting in stinky smoke in the
engine and passenger compartments.  If you're fast enough, you can shut off
the engine, yank a cable off the battery and put out the fire before it
burns up your car.  Later-year  bulkhead connectors provide for heavier
connection lugs for the main power supplies and can be used to replace the
undersized connections.  I did also add a fusible link, but have little
belief that it would eliminate the problem as the overheating can come with
normal current levels if there is a high-resistance connection.

All readers would be well advised to inspect these connections and at least
wire brush them clean and apply some conductive grease if they don't look
too bad.  Also, install a quick disconnect on a battery cable or have the
proper sized wrench for battery terminals handy under the hood.

Voice of experience in our '64K during restoration.  A close call.

Let us know what you find.

C-300-K'ly,

Rich Barber

  _____