Re: [Chrysler300] Amsoil synthetic gear lube study

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the thrust buttons are not brass, they are steel. That’s how Bob Merritt was able to fish one out of the rear on one of his cars. I have had these apart myself too, and know from experience that they are steel, held together by a split pin. I don’t know about early sure grips, but the 60 and up is steel.
Don

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 5:01 PM
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Amsoil synthetic gear lube study

Hi Rick..same way I felt--- but thrust pins in thrust block in 8 3/4 diff discussed in other email are in fact brass. Someone noted maybe only in sure grip..do not know, but do know in several I took apart they were there. And important functionally. = ? Matter of degree? GL-5 eats brass if you believe article. (due to sulphur lube in it)

That link is a great reference..main point is synthetic anything in oils is plain better than non synthetic, ---but have to watch additive packages. Same as motor oil, and flat cams. …..

SAE test/paper I saw / read about had older 350 camaro, I think it had 85k miles, running mobil 1, lab test every 1000 miles, oil still OK at 18000 but had lost additives unacceptably by then ; made me feel Ok about 10 k mile change with Mobil 1. Drove JEEP 4.0 330 k miles on this idea , engine still perfect . 4.0 a great engine anyway, but you get it. (99-01 not so good --head cracks,-- however) .Understand all those who are happy with old arrangement. Your call. New oil IS better.

Air cooled Onan generator I take care of, now equivalent of 1,000,000 miles at ~ 60 mph, (1800 RPM<) off grid island summer camp, circa 1950, (60 + years!) loves Mobil one and Harley synthetic/Mobil 1 ; much more tolerant of inherent air cooled high temps, better compression, lower running temp, more electricity, by about 10%, before slowing down. Stuff shines at high temps. And cold. Used to use 20-50 racing Valvoline in it, in fall , hard to crank/start, and it burned oil. No more.

I believe, but more than opinions, there are real reasons .

John