Re: [Chrysler300] Looking For...

On 12/12/2019 7:08 AM, John Grady jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] wrote:

> The current draw of an led is a lot less and with most directional
> signal flashers , they work by heat of the current drawn to thermally
>  heat up a bimetallic strip that snaps open when hot causing flashing
> . Heat goes as square of current so your 2 pin stock “in series”
> flasher May flash slowly or not at all . Some electronic or towing
> flashers work differently and do not depend on current . They may
> have 3 pins. The gauge regulator in our cars works the same way .
> Keeping one real bulb probably helps the stock  flasher work better
> . “Your mileage may vary “ John G
>
> Sent from my iPhone not by choice
>
> On 12 Dec 2019, at 5:50 am, Charlie V cv300g@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:cv300g@xxxxxxxxx> [Chrysler300]
> <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>> If you use LED bulbs for the taillights make sure you use RED LED
>> Bulbs. I bought White LEDS 's and was not happy with the outcome. I
>> changed to the RED  bulbs and they look great.
>>
>> Question : why can't you use LED bulbs in the front directional
>> lights ? I have them in my 62 300 Sport Convertible and in my 65
>> Barracuda and that look great.
>>
>> Charlie Valentine

>> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 04:02:15 PM EST, Noel Hastalis
>> <mailto:chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>> John, I just spoke with Todd at Quirey, and he has no G lenses in
>> stock. Anders Andersson in Lidkoping, Sweden is reproducing these
>> lenses for various Forward Look years, and may be sending a set or
>> two of these to Quirey in about mid-January. You can try polishing
>> them as Bill Elder suggested. Also, a suggestion- a couple fellas I
>> know are running LED taillight bulbs - that burn brighter and
>> cooler. They do make a positive difference, as I’ll confirm,
>> following John Begian in his G convertible to our Spring and Fall
>> Meets this past year. Can only use the LED bulbs on the taillight
>> lenses - not front directional lights. Noel Hastalis

>> Sent from my iPhone

Addendydumdum

Information carried over from my pinball machine refurbish.

Typically Leds Draw less current, and since the ol machine had not been
played with for a LONG time we decided on ordering a full led kit for
it.
We did that for the obvious reasons:  Lots of light bulbs, led's will
create a lot less heat inside that big box, and last a lot longer, and
since only some needed additional circuitry work a little less power
consumed.

In order for them to work in that application additional work was
required to avoid 60hz 'flashing' of some of the LED's.
Had to add resisters to the lamp circuit to up the current draw so the
electronics would latch and hold thereby no more 60hz flickering.
Nope, we didn't spend the larger dollars to get the LED bulbs with the
resister built in. Enough older pinball machines still out there so a
few venders had the enhanced LED light bulbs designed.
They did still represent a total power consumption reduction

We CAN use LED's for some lighting in the old cars BUT any circuit that
requires a certain current load would probably benefit from additional
(Properly current rated) resistance added in the electrical path.

Blinkers and dash lighting comes to mind right off da batz

NOW, having gone thru that, with some lighting, leds that have the
Higher Lumens output still generate HEAT, so Not all are 'cool running'
some of the early LED replacements for automotive headlights had built
in cooling fans and any 'conversion' had to take the extra size the
added fans had into account during trial fittings. That Might still be
the case.

--
Paul Holmgren
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)