Re: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Speedo Cable Question....

Re: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Speedo Cable Question....

Yes, you can pull the cable from the housing. Not sure what you meant by " The cable tip ". How long was that cable tip ? If its brand new maybe they will replace the cable or repair it. Send pictures.

If you install a good cable to the transmission and the speedometer and if the speedometer is frozen you can break the cable inside the housing. The cable will spin at the transmission end and with the speedometer end not spinning it will twist momentarily and break.

There is a small oiler hole at the top of the speedometer . I had one that was frozen and with time and patience you may be able to get it loose without removing it from the car. get an inspection mirror and you will see it.

First of all, protect your carpet.

I first sprayed it with PB blaster. Other penetrants should also work. You only need a little bit. let that soak in. Another shot, soak in, another shot, soak in. I have a short piece of cable ,about 6" long, that I then inserted in the speedometer. By hand try to twist the cable back and forth. If is does not move do more PB Blaster. Let it soak again and try twisting the short cable end.

Once you get your speedometer head free it may go back to resting on zero. If not you will have to remove it for repair.

Once I got it free I then put a drop or two of lite oil in the oiler and let it soak in. Let that soak in and add two more drops. I used sewing machine oil. Once it was oiled and spinning free I inserted the other end of the short  cable to a cordless drill and spun it. I think the drill had to be in reverse.

With patience you may get this speedometer head free again.

Others may reply with other ways to get this free.

Good luck and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!!

Charlie Valentine