RE: turn signal/parking lights help

General consensus is 1968 -- when a slew of new Federal regulations went
into force. Here is a post from valiant.org from Chris North, who used
to  be a member here:

-----------------------------------
On a 1965 Valiant, the parking lights are supposed to go out when the
headlights are turned on.

Up until 1968, it was standard for the parking lights on US cars to go
off when the headlights were turned on (in 68, a whole slew of
regulations on lights were enacted). Prior to 1968, although it was not
required that the parking lights go out when the headlights were turned
on, it was the general rule. The Plymouth Barracuda broke that rule.
There may have been other cars that did the same, I do not know.

The early Barracuda had a special dash wiring harness that put a jumper
between the tail light terminal and the parking light terminal on the
plug that attaches to the headlight switch. This made the parking lights
stay on when the headlights were turned on. The easiest way to get this
modified for your valiant is to remove the headlight switch and solder a
jumper wire between the "P" and "R" terminals on your headlight switch.

I ran into this problem when I had to swap out the dash wiring harness
on my 65 Barracuda (it had been "modified" by a previous owner). I got a
dash harness out of a 65 Valiant and found out that the parking lights
no longer stayed on when the head lights were turned on. I spent several
hours of swapping harnesses trying to figure out what the problem was.

----