Dowel pins for bellhousings

While trying to cure transmission problems I have kicked over a can of
snakes! Seems that who ever put my engine tranny combination together was  smoking
some real good stuff. Nearest we can tell register is almost .070 out!  Driver
side dowel was stock Plymouth .496 and sorta straight, but ground off so
that it only located the block plate and not the  bellhousing. It was  removable,
the other one is obviously an off set, and as the slot should  indicate the
direction it is doing the alignment no good at all. Oh, it won't  come out, can
turn it slightly with vise grips, drilled it and sprayed a lube in  to see if
that would help, still stuck. I need ideas as to how to get this  &%$#%^&
thing out and then the next problem, I have several sets of the  Lakewood offset
dowels and they measure .500, it doesn't want to go in the  block. I will have
to get the stuck one out, get new ones in and get the dial  gauge back out,
the dial indicator I can handle its the everything prior that  has me stuck.
Any ideas would be appreciated,  will be out of town this  week, but back under
the car next week.

John  Althaus
1964 Savoy  Hemi 4spd

----