Re: What about this sticky goop in my gas tank?

Re: What about this sticky goop in my gas tank?

The sock is available from Ford; the pn is on the 62-65 tech page. The rubber gasket is available from numerous    vendors listed on the 62-65 vendor's page lists.

I think POR, Eastwood, etc kits all work with the idea of a solvent to remove the rotten gasoline, followed by an acid etch to make the tank's interior metal "toothy" for the sealer to adhere and finally a liner/sealer.

I've used the POR Marine and it did work okay but I had to use several batches. It's a messy job so if you can find a radiator shop that will boil out the tank you will save yourself some time and hassle. The sealer I used worked fine; just be sure it is ethanol friendly and either wear a respirator or avoid breathing the sealer's fumes: nasty stuff.

New repro gas tanks are available as a last resort. With the cost of boiling out the old tank and / or the materials and time to redo the old one it is worth considering.

Thanks,
Gary H.