RE: 63 Dodge Trans question

Hi Steve,

I feel that is more likely that the wire has been grounding the terminal
on the realy.  The neutral switch screws in to the side of the tranny
case and without it would leak.

Check a wiring diagram to determine which terminal on the realy goes to
the NSS and see what they have done.

It may also be that your car has a starter relay from a manual
transmission car and there will be no terminal to connect to.

However, starting in gear is a dangerous thing to ignore.

The firewall starter relays are about $20 from NAPA.  You could count
the number of terminals on yours and go to the NAPA and count the
terminals on one of theirs for an automatic.

THe neutral starting switch in the tranny looks sort of like the oil
pressure sending unit except it will have a terminal with a nut for
attaching the wire.  Location is fairly close to the front of the tranny
on the drivers side.  YOu should be able to see it from the engine
compartment since the wire is only about 24" long.

K.