From: Butch Edison [mailto:waedison@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:20 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Lifts - was RE: Heater hindsight

The Mohawk two-post gave me the safety assurance I want for me and my
grandkids. I'm sure others are fine with whatever they use, just personal
preference for me. They are at the upper end cost-wise (applies to grandkids
and Mohawk lifts).

You are correct to be concerned about the floor for a two post lift. I've
seen web-shots of two post lifts that have pulled the anchor studs. The
photos show that they were obviously not installed correctly. Even if I'd
installed my own lift, it would have been a better job than the 'fails' I
saw online. Mohawk's techs did a first-rate install by anyone's standards.

When I had my garag-mahal built, I told my contractor to put in a 6" floor.
When Mohawk showed up to put in the lift, they found only 4" and would not
install the lift. We did not have the floor depth in writing, but my
contractor took ownership of the error, so to satisfy Mohawk, had a lot of
extra work in front of him. He had to cut out a 6' by 14' slab of the 4"
concrete. Then he had to hand dig the hole to a depth of 18" deep and 16"
around the perimeter of the existing slab. Then he had to put a rebar web
that extended 18" under the existing slab, then finally filled the void with
concrete. He had to do all this because once he cut the existing slab,
the integrity offered by the complete slab was gone. He was in fact putting
in a concrete block that by itself had to support the hoist safely. Of
course, that meant another month making sure the concrete was cured, trying
to match the epoxy floor he'd already poured (close but no prize on that
one), then he had to eat a second trip by Mohawk to install the lift.

That's all history now and I  don't think of it. Rather, I adjust the heat
in the garage, turn on my tunes, and do what I want to in a great frame of
mind.

/Butch/Ferndale, WA