RE: I'm starting a poll

Rich,
	If you have the converter for it, my vote is max out the camshaft.
My left brain embraces "More's Law" - "If more is good, too much is just
right."

	My first attempt at racing was just after I got out of college.  My
'63 Fleet Special was bone stock, and I wanted to go fast.  Being a 20 year
old Expert at Everything, I read the Mopar Performance Bulletins and knew
that the cam and converter had to be matched, so I ordered a 3000 rpm stall
converter and had Crower grind me a fairly radical hydraulic camshaft that
started making power at 3000 rpm.  Man, I was gonna tear it up.

	Once we got her to the track, I was really disappointed with the way
the car left - no matter how I launched the car it would just kinda "drone"
for about 30-40 feet, then all hell would break loose.  The first 1-2 car
lengths reminded me of the way a city bus sounds when it pulls away from a
stop.  It finally occurred to me that the motor didn't make enough below
3000 rpm to actually stall the converter.

	Long story short, I ordered a Turbo Action 3800, and it really woke
the car up.  At the same time I had removed the pushbuttons (I know,
horrors, but that's how I ended up doing what I do today!) and put in a B&M
Series 60 shifter with a manual shift valve body (anybody remember the old
Kokomo manual valve body?).  After the first two passes I was incredibly
disappointed - although the car was launching at a higher RPM, it still just
didn't leave hard.

	A little bench racing with buddies revealed that the weight of my
right arm was pulling the shifter into second gear as soon as the car moved
- once I physically took my hand off the shifter the thing left like a
rocket.

	Bottom line - be sure you have enough converter to let the camshaft
work and go nuts!

SC