RE: Over heating

Been there - Done that!

I had a long battle with over heating with my 63 SF 383-4 speed car.
The 383 is warmed up but not over the top, just a nice driver.

I tried the following:

New water pump
Performance thermostat - important to use
Fan shroud
Electric Fan

Nothing worked.  I went to a small radiator shop in Yuma to have him
move the radiator straps slightly so I could use the shroud.  The old
guy immediately said Mopars do not over heat unless timing is wrong or I
have the wrong thermostat.  I assured him the timing was correct and I
had the right stat.

Finally I got him to look at the radiator, he asked who recored it, I
told him it was done in Arkansas where my brother and I build the car.
He said it might work in Arkansas but not in Arizona.  He showed me
different cores and explained that my core did not have enough fins per
inch, I needed a new radiator!

I tried the shroud anyway, actually made it worse on the road, slightly
better in town but now enough.

I tried an electric fan, the highest CFM I could get for the width of
the core, no improvement.

I finally called U.S. Radiator in Phoenix.  They built me a 4-core
copper radiator that works.  Aluminum is better but I wanted the
radiator to look stock and this one does except for the lack of markings
on the top tank.  I did not go with a larger radiator, it is exactly the
same width and hight as my old radiator.

I made a trip with the car last year from Yuma to Arkansas in the
summer, no over heating problems.  I don't have A/C the over heating was
in the driver's seat.  Temperatures on Interstate 8 was in the 110 to
115 degree range.

Just a comment on radiators.
A deeper core does not automatically mean more cooling, it can result in
less.  High fin count actually restricts air flow but will ncrease
cooling to a point.

Just consider that the first row sees the air coming into the radiator,
the second row is getting the warm air off of the first row and the
third sees very warm air that has came off of the first two rows, as you
can see a fourth row is even less effective seeing the air off of the
other three rows.

I discussed this with the radiator company and they assured me that a 4
row would work for my application.

I can only say my experience with U.S. Radiator was good, I have no idea
how they have done for others and would not suggest they have the
ultimate answer for your application but it did work for me.

Good Luck
Dennis