RE: steering wheel

I'd love a link to the procedure that Bill wrote if someone has it.

I gleaned some tips from the internet, got a few pointers from Charlie
Quarters and am doing one for my '68 VIP.  Lots of cleaning and scrubbing
before starting to remove years of hand-goo and grease. I used epoxy putty
for the large gaps and some thinner epoxy glue for the spider-cracks.  Using
a variety of files and sandpapers to re-shape missing parts, starting with
220 for big blobs of epoxy and working down to finer grades as the finished
shape comes into focus.  Automotive grade sandable hi-build primer in rattle
cans seems to work well over sanding scratches.  I'm letting the primer dry
well between sessions (like to say it's on purpose but I don't have much
free time this time of year) to be sure all solvents have boiled off and to
minimize shrinkage down the road.

This particular wheel has a strip of simulated aluminum (clear plastic with
bright applique) pressed into a recess on the front - I plan to insert a
real aluminum strip brush-finished and clear coated.

My '64 Fury wheel is actually pretty good, with one large (1/4") gap right
next to one of the four metal trim rings, which is now loose on the wheel.
When I get some time I'm gonna try filling that gap with epoxy putty and see
how close I can touch the paint up... I'm hoping to get it close enough to
not be noticeable without close scrutiny.

This is one of those projects you can work on when you have a few minutes to
spare, then not see for a few days or even weeks.  Really satisfying to see
the transformation - highly recommended.  Kinda fun, actually.  Find an old
wheel and give it a shot -

SC