Re: IML: '68 Imperial Running Once More!

Re: IML: '68 Imperial Running Once More!

I was finally able get a healthy neighbor to help me change the starter on the '68 Crown Convertible today.

After we did that, it still didn't run. Oddly, someone had already been down this road before with that car. It had a new battery, starter, relay, ignition switch, & neutral safety switch. The thing is, all of that stuff had been done over 20 years ago and the car had not been driven enough in all those years to get those parts dirty.

With the new starter we put on today, and all those parts, I was really stumped. We didn't even get a "clack" when we jumped the terminals on the relay. I determined that we were getting juice to the relay, and I determined that the ignition switch was getting juice. The last thing was the two wires to the starter. We grounded the terminal down at the starter and it cranked. I then decided to run a jumper wire from the other side of the starter (smaller terminal) up to where that connection went to the relay. It started!

That means that the smaller wire between the relay and the starter has a break. Hard to believe. I then tested the old starter that came out of the car. Remember, it was new 20 years ago, but hardly used. It didn't work. That means that even if I had figured out the wire problem with a test light, it never would have turned over with the other starter.

It fought me every step of the way, and caused another former owner a lot of grief too. But now it works. I even found the socket that I dropped when all this began for me last fall. The next step is to wash it!

Paul