RE: IML: 70 rear axle

Keith,

I've done a 2.76 to 3.23 changeover in my 65 Dodge and the biggest change I
noticed was in engine RPM at driving speeds.  The engine really was revving
noticeable faster and annoying at highway speeds.  I didn't notice much, if
any, acceleration improvement.  Probably 2 reasons for that 1) I don't drive
any of my cars like drag racers.  I'm sure that a time trial would show an
improvement. 2) the high torque output of the 383/413/440 makes the lower
numeric ratio (2.76 or 2.94) possible while providing good takeoff
performance (and quiet highway operation).

In my opinion you're wasting your time if you change your 2.94 to a 3.23.
I've never found my 70 LeBaron to lack in performance.

Also, be careful in your desire for a sure grip rear axle.  In my experience
these are more hassle than they're worth for a big, heavy car.  First of
all, how are you driving to worry about rear tire spin in a 5000# Imperial?
Second, the "posi" will come back to bite you in the butt in snow or other
slippery conditions.  Instead of the "loose" wheel spinning, both WILL
spin... and the back end of the car will shift sideways toward the downhill
side.  Right into a curb or ditch.  At least that's been my experience.
Very unnerving to have 15' of Imperial behind you "kick out."

Pete in PA

PS: my 70 had a very noisy rear end when I bought it.  It sounded like I was
running old style true snow tires.  A quick bit of diagnosis revealed that
the bearing on the AXLE shafts were bad.  The differential assembly was just
fine (and still is 20 years later).