RE: IML: 70 rear axle

Quoting Peter Engel <peter.engel@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Also, be careful in your desire for a sure grip rear axle.  In my experience
> these are more hassle than they're worth for a big, heavy car.  First of
> all, how are you driving to worry about rear tire spin in a 5000# Imperial?
> Second, the "posi" will come back to bite you in the butt in snow or other
> slippery conditions.  Instead of the "loose" wheel spinning, both WILL
> spin... and the back end of the car will shift sideways toward the downhill
> side.  Right into a curb or ditch.  At least that's been my experience.
> Very unnerving to have 15' of Imperial behind you "kick out."

My Sedan has Suregrip.  The snow and mad traction is really great.  In fact, I
was once stuck in the mad in the Lebaron (non-SureGrip, did not know at the
time).  I backed into the mad (the first say I bought it) thinking nothing
about it, because my Sedan would have never had any problems, and got stuck
(cops all around could have helped, but they had no interest in protecting and
serving, but that's another story).  In fact, in many ocasions, I have crossed
semi-flooded maddy medians with the Sedan, and everybody around were probably
laughing, expecting me to get stuck, but the Sure Grip dissapointed them.  In
the snow, the Sure Gripped car has wonderful stablity and acceleration, and you
can get the rear end loose with lots of control.  On the wet though its a
different story.  The oversteer usually comes slow and controlable, but
sometimes the rear end can get loose too fast, faster than the steering can
catch.  I have never driven the non-SureGrip LeBaron in the snow or ice to
compare.

D^2, 2x68