Re: IML: 70 rear axle

The rear axle can be rebuilt, you will have to pull bearings and press in new
ones.  You need presses for that.  If you rebuilt your transmission yourself, I
am sure you cn figure out ways to replace these bearings (you may have to pay a
few visits to local machine shops).  Sometimes the gears themselves go, if you
run it with no oil.  Opening it up will tell.  There are lots of parts-cars out
there, I am sure somebody may sell you a complete unit, possibly a SureGrip.

The 200 rpm is about right.  I have read road tests of Chryslers with the 3.23
that were still smooth highway cars.  Still, if you want to use your car for
road trips, the 2.94 sounds more appropriate to me.  If you want more
acceleration, I would try the dual exhaust and less restrictive air cleaner
first.  These simple modifications have no other negative consequences (unlike
the rear gear reduction).  The 2.94 should still be good for some towing.
Also, you may be losing some power from the worn out differential.

D^2

Quoting kmoore12@xxxxxxxxxxx: