RE: IML: 70 rear axle

Quoting "W.Roddick" <1roscoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In my experience anyway, MOST Chrysler cars came with 3.23s as the standard
> rear-end gear set.  Our '64 Crown has them, and so does our '72 Cuda. I
> would think the 2.94s would just make you have to push the peddle a little
> further to the floor (more gas) to get things moving.  With the 3.23s, it
> will get going a little better (up hill too), but of of course your top-end
> speed will be down a bit, is that ok?

This may be counter intuitive, but having to depress the throttle a bit more for
the same road load (and reducing the rpm slightly) may actually improve mileage.
 The engine is more efficient at a higher load low rpm than at lower load higher
rpm.  Of course, there are some exceptions.  If the higher load increases
converter slippage at very low rpm, you may have a bit more fuel useage.  Also,
if you are close to 3/4 of peak load or so, increasing load may enrich the
mixture a bit (this is unlikely in a 440 in normal cruising conditions).
Overall, the 3.23 vs 2.94 will certainly not help gas milege, but its hard to
predict how much it will cost you.  Overall, the lower rpm's for a given speed
are better, I think.  And your peak speed potential is better.

D^2