Re: IML: Please help/ '62 brakes

If the brakes are restored and maintained correctly, they will work fine. No brake system is a suitable substitute for careful and defensive driving.

The variants that you mention range from slight to insignificant, mostly involving changes to the spring clips that hold down the shoes. They all work, but some are easier to work with than others. The later design seems to be more effective at keeping them quieter.

There also was a change after '56 that allowed for wider shoes and drums. These can be adapted to the '56, but the backing plates have to be changed with the drums. Otherwise, it is a bolt on affair.

An easy change that can be made to an early car (particularly the '56) is to replace the rims with the ventilated type from the late '59 through '66 style. These are all 15 inchers, though so it doesn't work as well on the cars with 14 inch wheels. The '56 wheel cover already has slots to help move the air through past the drums.

Paul