Re: IML: How to take apart '67 hood ornament?

Like to add my experience about 67 hood ornaments. Many years ago while having work done on my convertible the mechanic forgot to close the hood when raising the car on the lift. A overhead fan hit the ornament and popped the ring and emblem out. We found the ring but not the emblem. The ring came out from the front. Not knowing then what a know now about reproduction emblems I fixed it buy having to imperial falcon emblems from a tail liight gold plated and adhered to a clear disc of plexiglass and snapped back in place in the ornament with the retaining ring.

Ed Tiede/67 Imp/convertible

From: Tim Klein <iml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: How to take apart '67 hood ornament?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:12:36 -0600

Roy said:
OK, is everybody sure that the 67 emblems came with the retaining ring on the back?
I ask this because my car didn't come with an emblem and the cherry one I got from Murray Park came with the ring at the front.

I'm glad you chimed in, Roy, because I thought I was going nuts when I saw a few people say the retaining ring was on the back. Yes, the ring is on the front (the convex side) on both hood ornaments that I own. And I don't see how it would be possible to assemble it a different way. So do you and I have our hood ornaments on backwards, or does everyone else? :-)

Tim Klein
'67 Crown 4DHT