Re: IML: Businesses stealing members addresses from the IML

Re: IML: Businesses stealing members addresses from the IML

Hi friends,

Thank you to all who responded to my posting about the issue of our contact information being lifted from the list.  It seems most of us, or at least those of you I have heard from, agree we don't want this information lifted from the list for an unsolicited e-mail without our permission.  I get the same feeling when I discover some company I do business with has given my contact information to another without my permission. Besides our objection to the mailbox clutter I think the main fear is of being ripped off.  Experience tells us most of the time SPAM equals scam.  In a perfect world there would be no SPAM, only honest offers with honest intentions.  Since this isn't a perfect world, and most of the time we don't have any knowledge of the person/business sending us the e-mail, we consider it a scam.  Given the many examples we hear about in the news today of rip offs and public opinion being what it is in regard to SPAM, I consider soliciting someone via private e-mail useless for good vendors.
That being said, I do think one of the objectives of our list needs to be to unite honest vendor with needy customer.  As I have shared with some of you I belong to ten or more mailing list, two of which allow vendors to make postings of specials they may be running or new inventory in exchange for a monetary contribution to the list.  When kept in check this seems to work well for all involved and helps to keep things honest, if nothing else in fear of negative feedback.  It also helps keep customers up to date on newly available items that may have been recently reproduced.  I can't speak for everyone, but I must be honest and say I have not contributed monetarily to the IML as I should.  Perhaps this would help with list cost when some of us forget to help.

Thank you,

David Whitfield