Re: IML: A new Imperial

Hi friends,

Like the rest of you I have often wondered when/if we would ever see the Imperial name again.  There is a part of me that agrees with Chris, in that I don't want to see Chrysler try and bring it back in fear that they will do the Imperial name an injustice.  Back when most of our beloveds rolled off the assembly line the company was being run by car people, not bean counters.  There once was a belief that if you built the best product success would follow.  Car companies were run by car people.  Now it's ALL about profit, that's why Thomas Edison would not recognize GE if he walked into the office today.  I'm afraid with today's business philosophy we would be disappointed in anything produced under the Imperial name.
I do appreciate anything retro the auto companies are doing, and think this new Chrysler 300 is a handsome car.
It would have been interesting had the new 300 been designed with a more plush interior, having real wood trim instead of plastic designed to look like tortoise shell, some real chrome on the exterior, and bearing the name Imperial. They would have needed to put a retro Imperial front and rear on the car. There would still have been plenty of room for a 300 in their model line up, perhaps even more of a performance car leaving the luxury part of their market for Imperial.  I'm sure all these changes could have raised the price $10,000 but Chrysler would then have had a flagship car to once again compete with Cadillac and Lincoln.  They could have brought back some creature comforts like automatic dimming headlights, which I understand Jeep will be offering.
It's fun to think about, but no matter what I'm sure a new Imperial would not meet our standards.  These wonderful old cars have a soul that I don't think we would sense in a new car.  For the majority of us I think classic cars are our connection to a simpler time.  A past horizon that is gone, gone forever.  Perhaps attempts to copy this would be to tamper with something special.

Regards,

David Whitfield