Re: IML: 413 block leak/They do crack

My '65's block was cracked when I bought the car. It had been overheated pulling an Airstream trailer over "The Grapevine" with a blown radiator hose in 1971. Because of that I bought it cheap.

I am surprised that this car could be driven 20 miles with a stuck theromostat. Even with the heater on full, without circulation, it would only cool the water in the heater core, not in the engine.

One of my non-Imperials with a big V8 did that. I knew something was VERY wrong in less then two blocks. I pulled into a parking lot with a boiling engine. I waited two hours to let it cool, and went about two more blocks after refilling it before it boiled again. Having about 5 miles to go to get home, I realized that I wouldn't make it, so I called AAA for a tow.

Changing the thermostat was just a lucky guess as to what was wrong. The new one is the kind that opens when it fails instead of the opposite. I was also glad that the engine was not damaged, even though I shut it off just as the "HOT" light came on. I knew that if I had tried to drive it the five miles to get home, I would have cooked it.

If this car really had a stuck theromstat and was driven 20 miles (on a hot day) the owner was more than lucky that the engine was not totally destroyed. It may have been a 413, but it is NOT indestructible.

Paul