Re: IML: Disc Brakes in '56???

Those brakes were not an option. The cars that had them were not available with drum brakes and vice versa. Since you are seeing them in 1956 related literature they must have been used that year. My recollection is that the disc brakes were installed on Eight Passenger Sedans and limos, and Town & Country models in 1950. I knew of someone with a 1950 Town & Country Hardtop that came that way.

As you stated, these disc brakes are nothing like what we refer to by that name today. You just think that you are having one "H" of a time working on your Center Plane brakes. Ask someone who has had to repair/rebuild/find parts for the old disc style.

By the way, those support plates can be rebuilt. The ones on my '62 would not hold an adjustment due to worn friction fit parts. The mechanic that helped me get all of my brakes working again took them to his shop for a couple of weeks and brought them back working fine. I never did ask him about it since I assumed it wasn't a big deal.

Paul