IML: sure grips, odd noises and gene pool

IML: sure grips, odd noises and gene pool

Hi Bill, and List..

I copy this to the list regarding the sure grip you inquired about. It is possible to convert a 8 3/4 rear to a sure grip provided you have a sure grip center section and all the associated small parts needed when taking the differential apart and changing it over. The way its designed, you disassemble the differential, replace the standard center section with the sure grip and put it all back together. By the way, on the style of differential we have in our Imperials , there is no separate cover on the rear of it, you simply remove each axle ( easier on the later non tapered axle cars ), remove the driveline at the rear end, and unbolt the differential. There also , as I recall, no axle retaining clips on any Mopar 8 3/4 axle set up, the axles are held in by plates out at the end, by the wheel bearings.

The other side of the coin here is that by the time you pay the labor , at whatever ungodly rate they are asking for, to remove the differential, take it apart, install the new parts, set up the backlash, pinion depth and ring gear to pinion gear pattern on the bench, and reinstall it in the car you are in a large pile of cash. I would contact Randys Ring and Pinion in Everett and see about getting one outright and just having it installed. You would be surprised at how fast and easy it is to just swap a differential compared to doing all of the rest of it. There are other places who do differentials nowadays, getting a sure grip isnt difficult nor should it be exhorbitantly expensive.

As far as your post regarding small shops and folks who know and understand older cars....bravo! As one who cut their teeth on them, Id prefer to work on a 60s or 70 vintage Detroit ironworks vehicle any day of the week. As much as I admire the technology and the application of it in newer cars, and the relative ease of much of the routine maintenance ( what do you mean " tune up".....they dont exist, just change plugs once a decade and put some injector cleaner in the tank ) and the fact that in some instances the ergonomics and the bells and whistles of many new cars are very attractive, they still strike me as soulless kidney beans mass produced by Conglomart much like the way the golden arches take drums of McMatter and process it into fries, burgers, shakes and kids toys...yet it all came out of the same machine way in the back that we never see.

By the way, its too bad you, and Leslie and a few others werent so bloody distant in regards to finding someone to work on the Imperials. I can proudly say that I was at least out of the kiddie end of the gene pool and where I grew up the cut off age for sleeping with ones parents was relatively low and at that point you had to either marry a cousin or get adopted. I also have learned to keep my knuckles off the floor and discovered that those breathe right strips really help keeping ones mouth shut while breathing.

Thanks for the list of noises, very similar to what we hear in aviation except theres no listing for this type of whining.....the kind of noise someone makes when they have to pony up to the bar and pay for the privilege of flying in 150,000 dollars worth of disposable income that has to be maintained. If you remember the scene in " The Jerk ", think of the guy who asked Steve Martin for money because his leather seats had cracked.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe