IML: Disc Brakes (thanx); Idler Arm, Fan Shroud Questions...

IML: Disc Brakes (thanx); Idler Arm, Fan Shroud Questions...

First off, thanx for all the feeedback on my disc brake question.  In case you're curious, I'm not necessarily going the way of discs, but I will need to completely rebuild my brakes soon, and was just curious how much it would be to go to discs.  I found AAJ Brakes online, e-mailed and left two messages and have not heard from them yet.  Are they still in existence, or just ignoring me?

Secondly, I just installed a rebuilt steering box.  Now, I realize the steering will be a bit stiff for the first few hundred miles, and that's fine.  However, I tested the idler arm after I test drove it, by separating from the rest of the linkage, and it seemed a bit stiff.  I was under the impression that the idler arm should be loose enough to be moved manually with a little pressure, however my idler arm does not move unless I exert quite a bit of effort.  Is that normal?  When I make a turn now, the steering wheel does not rebound back the way it's supposed to.  I have to turn the wheel back to make the car go straight again.  Do I just have to wait til the box breaks in, or is the idler arm too tight and needs to be replaced?

Finally, my engine runs hot on warm days in traffic.  I do not have a fan shroud, it never had one, at least not as long as I've had it.  Now the engine is freshly rebuilt, about 500 miles, and I know the engine is breaking in and will run warm for a while, however I still think it's too hot.  I built the engine with the best possible cooling components, I don't think it's any of those parts.  My question is: would a fan shroud make that much of a difference?  Would it cool the engine considerably?  Or should I buy an electric fan to help out?  Any suggestions as to which one?

Thanx in advance...
John
1965 Imperial LeBaron.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.