RE: IML: 81 thru 83 Imperials

Ken, I'm sorry to hear you are having some teething problems with the 82.
I'd be happy to make some suggestions to you if you'll list out for me what
it does or doesn't do, and when this occurs.  I know that most of the IML
members aren't interested in the "gussied up Aspens", so perhaps we should
take this off line.  My e-mail is dickb@xxxxxxxxx

I do have schematics for the power module including the 23 volt power
supply, and also for the dreaded ASDM and the fuel flow meter; however I
believe all these are posted on the IML web site somewhere - I know I
scanned them and sent them in.

I have not repaired any components for these cars for about 5 years, there
seemed to be no interest in it, even though I was doing it free, so I just
made myself a spare set and took my test bench setup apart to use on other
items.  One of the obstacles that stopped most prospective users of my
services is that I insisted that they send me the bad parts first, so I'd
have fodder for further such activity.  I'd either repair their item or send
them one of mine, but either way I kept a steady supply of cores and parts.
If you set up to do it, I strongly recommend you follow the same rules - I
learned this a long time ago during my Packard repair shop years.

So far, in 19 years and over 50,000 miles, I've not had to use any spare EFI
parts in my car - what little that has gone wrong with it has always turned
out to be something totally unrelated to the EFI system (distributor cap
carbon tracking, fuel pump cardiac insufficiency, both items replaced with
over the counter parts from NAPA).

I had 3 other 81-83s (one of which was a factory kit converted car), but the
two other EFI cars were similar in reliability, although I did have a bad
FPS switch in one of them and a bad EFI coolant temp sensor in the other.
All 3 of those cars were sold a few years ago (on eBay).

If you want to plunge into the repairing of power modules and the like, I'll
be happy to share what little I know about them with you, but I'll bet you a
weeks pay (either yours or mine, since we're both retired I assume that's a
big fat ZERO) that your problem turns out to be related to something other
than electronics!

You will need a test bench with the normal electronic test equipment and
supplies; from your call letters, I assume you are well fixed in that
regard.

Dick