Re: IML: 8-track in imperials & originality

Re: IML: 8-track in imperials & originality

For the restoration of my 1959 Imperial I wanted to keep the stock AM radio and speakers as original but also wanted to have a modern AM-FM system and a way to play my iPod. I used a Secret Audio AM-FM unit with a 10 CD changer - all mounted in the trunk. The Secret Audio system is operated by a RF remote control unit (it also has a small display panel that I am mounting in the glove box). I really didn't need a disc changer since I will use my iPod, but it was necessary to provide an audio input for the iPod. The connection for the IPod will simply be a cable that will store under the driver's seat.

For speakers - the '59 parcel shelf has cutouts for three 6x9 speakers. On the original installation the radio speaker is in the center cutout and one of the others is used as an air source for the rear window defogger. I re-engineered the rear window defogger to get air from another cutout on the parcel shelf and installed two modern 6x9 speakers in the cutouts. Small box-type speakers will be mounted up front under the dash to provide a complete stereo system with 4 speakers.

The system isn't operational yet and I'll have to say that the Secret Audio components look a little cheap (although they cost plenty) - but it seemed like the best option for leaving the original radio and speakers entirely stock and yet providing my car with a modern system.

Regards,
Charlie Hansen
1959 Imperial Le Baron Southampton (currently under restoration)