Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1980's Imps - LAST ONE -

If they had "all" sold? How many is all of them? After all, it's not like
they built the entire model run in 1981 and took three years to sell 'em.

I'm sure, as with most models, they had hoped to produce them (and therefore
sell them) for a minimum of four years, probably more. I'm not sure where
you read that Iacocca said this, but could it just be one of those hearsay
statements that was never actually made, or has been paraphrased enough
times to change meaning? I just don't understand the concept of what "all of
them" would mean.

However, the odds are very good that you are right about the badges, or
close. They could have run out, or it might have been that by April 1983 the
EFI had gotten such a bad rap (undeservedly, IMHO) that they felt no need to
advertise it.

After GM ruined the diesel engine's reputation in the 1980s, every carmaker
was hesitant to ever put a diesel badge on a car again. In fact, I cannot
think of any modern diesel marketing with such a badge. VW says TDI, MB says
CDI, and Jeep says CRD. Only the trucks, for whom diesel still means big-rig
torque, seem to still use Rudolf's last name. Maybe it was the same for the
Imperial's Electronic Fuel Injection.

Or maybe they figured every Imperial would be retrofitted to a carb within a
few weeks of delivery to a customer anyway, so why affix a badge!

Chris in LA