From: "Mark Martin" <1966.newport@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: engine problems
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:34:31 -0700

Sounds like a lot of things to me, but more than likely the timing is just off

How are you setting the timing? Don't go by the notches on the crank pully.... stick a screw driver in plug hole #1 and find TDC that way (ask if you need more info on that one ;) then make a new mark on your pully....

I had the same problem with the 273 in my valiant...

Jay,

Others have made some very good suggestions about the possible source of
your engine troubles.  As someone said, the actual point gap is irrelevant
so long as dwell is correct.  But the gap/dwell mismatch may indicate worn
distributor parts.  I myself have experienced a stuck centrifugal advance
and it totally took the power away from a brand C engine.

One thing to consider is the camshaft.  Do you know exactly what grind was
installed?  This can be a big problem if a modern grind "emission" cam is
installed since overlap is usually way too much.  A friend experience
"gutless wonder" performance from a purchased long block years ago and went
nuts trying to determine the cause.  The problem turned out to be the cam
grind.

HTH,
Pete in PA