Re: IML: Junk-yard surprise !!! sad

The Imperial was a posh version of the Fifth Avenue.  They both shared the
same body (Y body) and both used a vinyl roof which also surrounded the rear
quarter windows on the door on the Fifth Avenue.  The vinyl covering on the
Imperial started at the B pillar, leaving the roof over the front seat with
no covering,   The Fifth Avenue used the front and rear of the New Yorker
Salon while the Imperial's front and rear were unique to the Imperial..

The Fifth Avenue had a smaller rear window than the New Yorker Salon/Landau,
while the Imperial rear window was slightly smaller yet.  Which is why they
both have that vinyl roof - to cover the insert used to fill the Dynasty/New
Yorker rear window.

The Y body of the Imperial and Fifth Avenue had a 5" longer wheelbase than
the C body (New Yorker / Dynasty)  - 109.3" vs. 104.3".   And it was all in
the rear passenger compartment - the rear doors are 5" longer on the Y body.
The shorter rear doors on the New Yorker/Dynasty also do not have the small
quarter windows.  I suspect the glass in the rear door of the New Yorker /
Dynasty is the same as the Fifth Avenue / Imperial.  The quarter window was
probably added to save the cost of tooling a larger window.

Bill
Vancouver, BC