IML: stuck float in gas tank

I am not exactly sure why you think the float is stuck.  The first and easiest thing to do would be to ground the wire to the tank unit, turn the ignition key on and see if the gauge on the dash goes up to full.  I am not sure about your year but the 67 Imperial does not require tank removal to get the sending unit out.  If the car is on a hoist it was quite easy.  The other problem I ran into with a similar problem was the wrong tank sending unit.  Several places were selling a NOS and a reproduction tank unit that suposedly fit all full size Chrysler models.  The Imperial actually is a different unit internally....it only looks the same.  The reason being that the Imperial has the low fuel light or check gauges light and incorporates a relay that the other models did not have.  Probably would be a good idea to look at the shop manual for your year. Hope this helps.