RE: Re: IML: Cooling Issues Part two

I may be sticking my foot in it, but if the older fan clutches are like my 75's  When the car is cool the fan should pretty much free wheel smoothly, when hot very hot it should be locked up to pull air in fast.  do the checks with the engine off.
One not I replace mine in my 75 and it would over heat in stop and go traffic. come to find out the new clutch was much shorter than the original and it would not heat up. I had to fund a spacer to move the fan/clutch closer to the radiator so the heat would make the clutch lock up as it should to pull the air.

--
Alan Jordan
90 IMP

-------------- Original message from "JAY D'ANGELO" <cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

I have noticed that the fan makes a noise when I shut the car off, as it freewheels a few revolution - like it needs lubrication or something.  It has never overheated to the point that it boils over - but, 115 is pretty hot anyway.

How do I know if the fan clutch is bad?

Jay

Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail beta